David A. Allgeyer
Mediator, Arbitrator, Lawyer
For over 35 years, David Allgeyer has been practicing in the areas of commercial, intellectual property, and employment litigation, mediation, and arbitration. David has litigated cases in the state and federal courts throughout the United States involving, among other things:
- Intellectual property in the form of patents, trademarks, trade dress, trade secrets and copyrights and related issues regarding unfair competition
- Issues regarding contractual obligations and the Uniform Commercial Code relating to medical devices, software, computer systems, and sales of various products in the electronics manufacturing, heavy equipment and other industries
- Employment, contract, and insurance issues
Mediator. David has served as a mediator for private commercial and intellectual property matters as a member of the panel of mediators for the American Arbitration Association. He is on the Minnesota State Roster of Neutrals for mediation under Rule 114 of the General Rules of Practice.
Over the last fifteen years, David has also served as a mediator in contract and intellectual property matters, as well as dozens of matters for the Hennepin County and Ramsey County District Courts. David served as Chair of the Minnesota State Bar Associations Alternative Dispute Resolution Section in 2007 and 2008.
Arbitrator. As a member of the American Arbitration Association’s Commercial Panel, David has been appointed as an Arbitrator in over seventy matters involving commercial disputes, intellectual property disputes involving licenses, patents, and trade secrets concerning medical devices, manufacturing operations and methods; warranty issues involving computer systems and high-tech equipment; disputes involving sales of businesses and other commercial matters.
Leader. David is past Chair of Lindquist and Vennum’s Litigation Department, and has also led the firm’s Commercial Litigation Department and Intellectual Property Practice Group. He is a past chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Section.
David formed Allgeyer Law and ADR after 35 years with Lindquist and Vennum, concentrating on resolving matters as a mediator and arbitrator.
David was named Mediation Lawyer of the Year, Minneapolis, 2018 and Arbitration Lawyer of the Year, Minneapolis, 2016, by Best Lawyers in America. David is on the Silicon Valley Arbitration and Mediation Center List of the World’s Leading Technology Neutrals.
David began his career as a judicial law clerk for the United States District Court.
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Minnesota Law School, 1980
- AAA Commercial Arbitrator Training II, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- AAA Commercial Arbitrator Training Workshop, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- CLE Certified Mediation Skills Training, St. Paul, Minnesota
- CLE Certified ADR Training, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Myriad CLE programs as teacher and student in the areas of mediation, arbitration and other ADR processes.
- Guest lecturer for ADR classes at William Mitchell College of Law
Law in Practice Mediator at University of Minnesota
- Named by Best Lawyers in America as 2018 Minneapolis Mediation Lawyer of the Year
- Named by Best Lawyers in America as 2016 Minneapolis Arbitration Lawyer of the Year
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America (Arbitration, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Intellectual Property, Litigation – Patent, and Mediation), 2007 to date
- Described in Chambers USA Guide as “exceptionally experienced in arbitration and mediation, in addition to his longstanding strengths in litigation.”
- Minnesota Super Lawyers (Intellectual Property Litigation), 2002 to date
- Book: Arbitrating Patent Disputes: A Practical Guide (ABA Publishing 2017)
- For a list of and access to publications in the areas of arbitration, mediation, intellectual property and commercial law please go to daveadr.com
LECTURES (a sample)
- National webcast presentations on “Top IP Issues in Contracts,” April, June, October 2016
- Webcast, ADR in Patent Cases, Minnesota CLE, March 2016
- Moderator, “Strategies for Mediating Business Disputes,” Minnesota CLE., ADR Institute, October 2015
- Seminar Chair and Presenter, IP Issues in Contract Seminar, Minnesota CLE, Dec. 2015
- Panel Chair, “Issues in Commercial Mediation,” ADR Institute, Minnesota CLE, Oct. 2015
- “IP ADR: Arbitration Clauses, Settlement Agreements, and Tips,” Midwest Intellectual Property Institute June 2015
- “ADR Topics: The Evaluative Mediator’s Toolbox,” Minnesota CLE Webcast, June 2015
- “Mediation Advocacy and Ethics,” Minnesota, CLE Webcast, May 2014
- “Top 10 IP Issues in Contracts,” Business Law Institute, Minnesota CLE, May 2014
- “Effective Use of ADR in Intellectual Property Cases: Fitting the Process to the Problem, Minnesota ADR Institute October 2014
- Minnesota CLE Webcast, May 2014;” Mediating the Business Divorce,” Minnesota CLE, February 2014″
- Purchasing Law-Effective Negotiations: Structuring the Deal,” Lorman webinar, January 2014;
- “Top 10 Issues in IP Contracts: If You Don’t Remember Anything Else, Remember This…,” The Minnesota Closely Held Business Conference, October 2013
- “Drafting Dispute Resolution Clauses,” Negotiating, Drafting and Handling Contracts in Minnesota, Minnesota CLE, January 2013
- “Dispute Resolution Language in the Contract,” Minnesota CLE, January 2013
- “Top Intellectual Property Issues in Contracts: A Survivor’s Guide,” Minnesota IP Institute, September 2012;
- “What Lawyers Like and Don’t Like About Mediators,” Minnesota CLE, ADR Institute, October 2011
- “Monday Mornings with the Mediators,” Minnesota CLE, Programs on Mediation Basics, Advanced Mediation Issues, Advice to Counsel in Mediation, April, May, June 2011
- “Arbitration Update 2010: The Supreme Court, Minnesota’s Revised Uniform Arbitration Act and Trends in Arbitration Administration,” Minnesota CLE, September 2010
PRO BONO ACTIVITIES
- Appointed as mediation counsel as part of United States District Court for the District of Minnesota’s pro se program
- Conciliation Court Referee for Dakota County District Court since 2011
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota Distinguished Pro Bono Service Award
- Active in establishing pro bono mediation program in Hennepin County. Appointed as mediator by Hennepin County District Court in many pro bono matters, including complex multi-party matters
- Former mediator for Hennepin and Ramsey County Harassment Court
Minnesota — Minneapolis/St. Paul
Willing to travel locally, statewide, nationally or internationally to offer ADR services